BARBARA’S BOOK

Publishers Weekly, starred review
"Wrestling with God: Stories of Doubt and Faith" book cover with photo of author Barbara Falconer Newhall

"Any seeker of any faith will be blessed to read the words of this fine author and observer."

Click to learn more about "Wrestling with God"

Yippee! I Did It — I Finished My Book

Author Barbara Falconer Newhall sends her manuscript for "Wrestling With God" electronically to Patheos Press from her writing studio. Photo by Jon Newhall

I’m ready to press the “send” button and dispatch my manuscript off to publisher Patheos Press. Photo by Jon Newhall

By Barbara Falconer Newhall

It’s 6:02 Wednesday evening I just  hit the send button to send the manuscript for Wrestling With God off to my publisher, Patheos Press.

To tell you the truth, I’m very proud of this book. I think you’ll like it. It’s  all about finding a way to believe in God — or Something — in this multifaith, multicultural, seculariazed, globalized, super-rational, twenty-first-century world of ours.

I’d write more about the finishing up and the sending off of this opus right now — if I weren’t just a touch pickled from the celebratory champagne.

More later. Meanwhile, I’m happy. Love and thanks to all who have supported this ambitious project.

You can read stories about  “My Rocky Spiritual Journey” by clicking on the button at the top of this page. Some of my favorites are “An Episcopalian Says Kaddish for Her Jewish Aunt” and “Impermanence: Everything Changes and So Can I.”

A computer monitor shows AOL email's "File transfer complete" window. Photo by BF Newhall

I did it. I sent it off. Photo by BF Newhall

Comments

1. Emily Newhall says:

Hooray, Barbara! So happy for/impressed by you.

2. Richard Riley says:

Congratulations Barb, I’m going to get a copy when it comes out. Your riffs are interesting. I look forward to them.
    Rich

• Barbara Falconer Newhall says:

Thanks, Rich. I mention First Presbyterian Church — so you’ll find the book especially interesting, I think.

3. Will Philipp says:

You did it!!! So happy for you! What an accomplishment, Barbara—now Katherine & I need to order it as soon as you know the pub date. Lots to discuss—think about—as we ‘wrestle’ with our souls!

• Barbara Falconer Newhall says:

Thank you, Will. I’m looking forward to “overhearing” the conversation between you and Katherine.

4. Jessica O'Dwyer says:

Yay for you for going the distance! Your smiling face in the photo says it all. Congratulations!

5. Good work! Congratulations on your accomplishment. How I wish it was already out. I am on a planning committee for a women’s retreat in May, and it sounds like it would be perfect for our weekend at Mission San Antonio. Maybe next year. Dee

• Barbara Falconer Newhall says:

Dee, There are actually lots of conversation starters in “Wrestling With God:” Why does God permit human suffering? What, if anything, can the world religions learn from each other? How do Muslims feel about Islam post-9/11? Are humans basically good — or what? Do modern-day people ever experience theophanies? What is Christian meditation? What if I can’t believe in God?

6. YEA! And now the talk circuit.

• Barbara Falconer Newhall says:

Right, my next task is to get to work on the publicity, etc. It would be fun to do some readings in Michigan…

7. Sue Watson says:

Barbie,

I’m so happy for you. What a journey you have been on. It has been an exploration of your soul.
    I look forward to reading it and getting to know you in a new light.

Sue

• Barbara Falconer Newhall says:

Thanks, Jan, LIndsey and Sue,

Yes, you all will see another side of me. I’ll keep everybody posted as to pub date.

8. Jan Lippert says:

A huge congratulations!! I look forward to purchasing and reading the book. You’ll let us know when it’s available.

9. Great job, Aunt Barbara! That takes a lot of work and you really stuck it out. I’m excited to see it in print!

10. Barbara Falconer Newhall says:

Thanks, LInda and Mike. Both of you deserve some credit for help/insight in the writing of this book.

11. Linda Spencer says:

Fantastic news! Congratulations on reaching this major milestone! I look forward to purchasing and reading the book.

12. Mike Shaler says: